The Morehead-Cain Foundation, home of the first merit scholarship program in the United States, seeks a creative professional to craft content for all of the Foundation’s communications channels.
The Morehead-Cain is a four-year merit scholarship for students of the highest caliber to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, providing full funding for academic study and four distinctive summer opportunities in outdoor leadership, public service, inquiry into issues around the world, and professional internships. The 248 current Morehead-Cain Scholars enrich UNC’s vibrant campus community as leaders and innovators, and they join a network of more than 3,000 exceptional and connected alumni.
A scholar advisor is an upbeat, organized, and flexible person who plays a key role in the Morehead-Cain Scholars’ experience.
As an advisor, you will work directly with the scholars—individually and in groups—to help them set and achieve goals and plan and carry out their Summer Enrichment Program experiences.
Your responsibilities will include planning and executing scholar programming and communications; building authentic relationships with advisees; and handling the placement, training, and oversight of each scholar as they launch into their placements each summer.
Skills you’ll need
A scholar advisor has many of the same characteristics we seek in our scholars: an innate curiosity about the world; a lifelong love of learning; influential leadership in their previous roles; and exemplary character composed of integrity, empathy, and optimism. In addition you will need:
- Personal authenticity, dignity, and an ability to build sincere relationships with scholars, fellow staff members, and all foundation constituents
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral (clarity, brevity, authenticity, spelling, grammar, and pizzazz)
- Awareness of scholars’ goals, needs, concerns and feelings; ability to give support where needed
- Flexibility, creativity, intelligence, dependability
- An enthusiasm for working with a collaborative, engaged team
- Sharp attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- An appreciation and respect for the Foundation’s history, mission, values, and brand; an appreciation for and understanding of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Charm, charisma, and a cheerful disposition
- Self-starter, motivated, high-achiever
- A great sense of humor
- Meet regularly with Morehead-Cain Scholars to discuss goals, provide feedback, and coach scholars in strengths and life skills.
- Guide and advise incoming first-year students as they matriculate to the University and into our program (outdoor leadership summer, new-student orientation, housing, tuition bills, etc.). We focus extra attention on new international students.
- Monitor and communicate with scholars throughout summer experiences and hold debriefing sessions upon their return to campus in the fall.
- Provide support to scholars as they apply for jobs and internships by reviewing resumes and personal statements; write letters of recommendation as requested.
- Support the Discovery Fund application and review process.
Summer Enrichment Program
- Guide scholars’ planning and application processes for the Summer Enrichment Program (SEP). You will help plan all training and preparation events for each summer program and support scholars as they plan all logistical arrangements.
- Maintain relationships with a variety of summer sponsors, from international nonprofits to Wall Street banking firms through calls, emails and personal visits.
- Recruit new sponsors to provide fresh and interesting experiences for the students. You will employ alumni contacts, friends of the Foundation, and research to find ideal new sponsors; visit potential sponsors if possible to make final assessment and cultivate new partnerships.
- Engage in a process of evaluating our existing summer opportunities and designing new experiences for scholars, finding new partners and new modes of learning that will provide stretch experiences for scholars.
- Manage scholar content on the MC Network, our scholar and alumni intranet; maintain informational pages and forms, and post new events, communications, internships, and/or job opportunities, etc.
- Draft and edit our written communications to the scholars using the voice of the Morehead-Cain brand; manage our internal communications calendar.
- Gain expertise in our technology processes, including pulling queries and maintaining records in Microsoft Access, processing summer applications in Symplicity, and tracking information in Trello and Google Docs.
And Everything Else
We are a distinctly collaborative organization where every team member wears many hats. You will collaborate with the Scholar Selection team to select and recruit each new class of scholars, assist our Communications team on internal and external written communications and videos, support Foundation events throughout the year, and much more.
Education and Experience
- Four-year undergraduate degree, 2–3 years of work experience, including student advising, required; unique life experiences and background desired; master’s degree is preferred
- Some travel may be required
- Salary commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Julie DeVoe at email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.