What is the Morehead-Cain?
The Morehead-Cain Foundation is seeking driven, courageous, and curious leaders interested in embracing new and unknown experiences and cultivating a legacy of positive impact on their communities and beyond.
The Morehead-Cain is a four-year, fully funded educational experience for students of the highest caliber. It is so much more than tuition and room and board at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. We set your potential free. We offer life-changing summer enrichment and Discovery Fund experiences. Immersion in a dynamic student body at a world-class university. And lifetime connection to an unparalleled community of Morehead-Cains scattered across the planet.
Who do you aspire to be? Are you willing to commit yourself to superior effort, industry, and responsibility? Are you ready to add your mark to the Morehead-Cain legacy?
The benefits of making such a commitment are practically limitless.
What we’re looking for
- An ability to influence, energize, and inspire others to work together to make an impact
- Courage, humility, integrity, and perseverance
- A lifelong desire to learn and share newfound knowledge and inspiration with others
- Dedication to collaboration, wellness, and persistence
What you’ll do
- Embrace new adventures and meaningful risks that will stretch you beyond your comfort zone
- Challenge convention, spark conversations, and pursue answers to the most puzzling issues of our time
- Strive for a deeper understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses, values and beliefs, convictions and worldview
- Celebrate what’s needed to navigate obstacles, adapt to a changing world, and try new strategies to accomplish your goals
- Use your gifts and abilities to the fullest to better your community and the world
- Champion integrity and celebrate teamwork, giving more than you expect to get
- Thrive in Carolina’s academically rigorous environment
- Set the proper tone for leadership and integrity on campus
- Encourage others through persistent joy, humor, and positivity
- Accelerate your life experience
What you’ll receive
- Lifetime membership in a community of leaders, thinkers, and explorers who are ready to offer their support, mentorship, and guidance
- A fully funded education at one of the world’s finest universities
- The freedom to chart your own course and apply your talents in any way you wish
- Summers packed with transformational experiences around the world
- The unwavering support of an experienced and professional staff
- An undergraduate education filled with exceptional opportunities and experiences without peer
What does the Morehead-Cain provide?
Four years, fully funded
The Morehead-Cain provides an undergraduate experience without peer. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is home to a vibrant student body, and the Morehead-Cain allows scholars the freedom to pursue their own interests, mine their own potential, and have their own impact. We fund, we connect, and we encourage. Scholars bring the potential—we set it free.
Summer Enrichment Program
Instituted in 1974, this first-of-its-kind program is now the centerpiece of the Morehead-Cain: four summers, fully funded and strategically designed to broaden perspective, deepen understanding, and accelerate life experience. The Summer Enrichment Program provides a common framework within which scholars customize their Morehead-Cain experience: Outdoor Leadership, Public Service, Inquiry and Exploration, Private Enterprise.
Launched in 2008, Discovery Fund grants allow scholars to say “yes” to serendipitous opportunities that will accelerate their life experience and increase their self-awareness. The Discovery Fund is one of the more recent innovations to the Morehead-Cain Program. Each scholar may apply for grants up to a total of $8,000 during the course of his or her four years at Carolina.
How are Canadian scholars selected?
- Online application live: 15 August 2017
- Online application due: 31 October 2017
Applications will be reviewed by Morehead-Cain staff, professional readers, and Canadian Morehead-Cain Alumni. Between fifteen and twenty candidates will be named semifinalists for the scholarship and invited to interview via phone or Skype with a Canadian alumnus/alumna. Between four and six semifinalists will be named finalists for the scholarship.
Those finalists will be flown to North Carolina in March to participate in Final Selection Weekend on campus in Chapel Hill. There, more than 130 finalists from all over the U.S. and the world will gather for a weekend of fellowship and final interviews.
What else should I know?
- The Morehead-Cain and UNC-Chapel Hill application processes are separate. Students must also apply to UNC by either the early action (15 October) or regular decision (15 January) deadline.
- Canadian students do not need to have taken the ACT or SAT before applying to the Morehead-Cain, but they must take them by January in order to apply to UNC-Chapel Hill.
- To take the SAT, international students must register no later than November 2, 2017, for the December 2, 2017, test date. More information about the SAT can be found here.
- To take the ACT, international students must register no later than November 3, 2017, for the December 9, 2017, test date. More information about the ACT can be found here.
- Canadian students who do not attend a nominating school may apply for the scholarship directly.
Who can I contact with questions?
For University/Guidance Counsellors
We value our relationships with our nominating partners and thank you for your interest in nominating students for the Morehead-Cain. While each school is allowed to nominate three (3) students for the Morehead-Cain, students who are not nominated are allowed to apply for the scholarship directly.