Frequently Asked Questions

I am a Morehead-Cain nominee. Do I have to apply Early Action to UNC to be considered for the scholarship?

No. If you are a school nominee or direct applicant for the Morehead-Cain, you are not required to apply by UNC’s Early Action deadline.

There is one exception. If you are ineligible to apply for the Morehead-Cain, and you want to be considered for the scholarship through our Admissions Referral Program (ARP), you must apply to UNC under the Early Action application plan.



When can I begin my Morehead-Cain application?

The application will be available on our website beginning in mid-August. If you attend school in North Carolina, Canada, or the United Kingdom, you may begin your application as soon as it is available. Students from North Carolina will be able to update their nomination status once they have been notified by their counselor whether they are a school nominee.

If you attend an out-of-state or international nominating school, you may begin your application once your school has notified you that you are your school’s Morehead-Cain nominee.



I’m from out-of-state and do not attend a nominating school. How can I still be considered for the scholarship?

You may be eligible for nomination through our Admissions Referral Program (ARP). To be considered, students must apply to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill by October 15, 2018—Carolina’s (non-binding) Early Action deadline.



Can I apply under a binding Early Decision application plan to another institution?

No. Morehead-Cain applicants are not permitted to apply to other colleges or universities under binding Early Decision application plans. Applicants may apply to other universities under non-binding Early Action plans.



Will the Morehead-Cain have access to my UNC Common Application?




Does my college counselor communicate my Morehead-Cain nomination to you?

Yes. Your college counselor will confirm your nomination status on the school report form. Your counselor does not need to submit your name to us for you to begin your application.



Who should write my letter of recommendation?

Choose the person from your school who knows you best. We recommend that your college counselor write your letter, but we understand that there are cases in which a teacher or administrator is a better choice.



I’m an international student. When do I have to submit my SAT/ACT scores?

We’d like to see any test score that you have. If you haven’t yet taken one of these exams, please schedule a testing date and submit your scores to us as soon as you can. Please note that you cannot be admitted to UNC without taking the SAT or ACT.



Do I need to submit official score reports for the ACT, SAT, or AP exams? How do I update my test scores after I have submitted my application?

No, you do not need to submit an official score report. Please email us with any updates to test scores and your counselor will verify them.



When will I be notified if I am a semifinalist?

This depends on where you attend school. To find your notification date, please look at this timeline and select your nomination type.